Monday, January 21, 2008

Welcome 1-23-08 through 1-29-08

Hello everyone!!! Last week's coupon inserts were not a "Wow" for me and I did not buy extra papers but I feel like this is a GREAT deal week. It seems that every grocery store has some great loss leaders. A loss leader is a item that they feature in their sales insert that is usually sold at cost or at a loss to get you, the customer, into the store. They are banking that they will get you into the store and you will buy more stuff that is on sale or regular price and they will make up their initial loss with more profit. I think that concept is wonderful but I stick to my list and don't venture out on impulse buys and they don't make much money on me. Eventually those impulse items will go on sale and I will have a coupon and eventually get the item. One thing I would pass on to you is to never go grocery shopping hungry or they will make some money off you because it is harder to walk away from something you "need" if you are starving.

Hope everyone stocked up on Oreos last week and now are having fun figuring out what kinds of things we can make with them! If you have any good recipes, please forward to me because I would love them. I am trying to follow my Weight Watchers points but figure if I make everything low fat except for the oreos themselves, I might be able to actually eat some of them! ha ha ha

This is an awesome week to stock up the freezer with ice cream. Food Lion has Breyers on sale for 5.29 BOGO, which equates to 2.65 a half gallon. There is also a Food Lion IP (internet printable) coupon for 2.00 off one Breyers. That makes it .65! I almost fell over and was trying to figure out how many I can fit into my deep freezer alongside all the ground turkey I have! I go through alot of ice cream. I bought 32 half gallons once this summer and they have been long gone! Seriously. The only hitch is that you can only use one coupon each visit.

I usually never shop at Kmart for groceries but their insert this week caught my eye. There are some deals there if you are near.
oranges 4 lb bag 2 for $3.00
ground beef .99lb, sold in 5 lb
milk 2.99 gallon (about 1.00 less then EVERYONE ELSE)
mac n cheese box 4 for 1.00 (great to donate)
Kmart does NOT take other store's coupons and does NOT take any internet coupons (even the kmart ones!)

There are several new wine hangtags for 2.00 off shrimp, 1.00 off scallops, 2.00 off Flowers and/or Chocolates and 2.00 off chicken. There are TMF (try me free) on specially marked Texas Petes. There are rebates for the Kraft Active cheese and the Dannon Activia yogurt- try googling 'Dannon Activia challenge rebate". Another satisfaction guarrantee with Santa Fe salsa (I have only found at Food Lion) at www.SantaFePackingCompany.com and a rebate for 5.00 when you buy 2 Lysol products and have a pediatrician's appt.

And.... Great Clips is having some sale on haircuts. 6.99!! I am sending my husband to get his done. Me.... I just got it back into a ponytail with about 8 lbs of hairspray so this is one deal I am sitting out but...... good to pass along. I have no idea when it will end.

Because I tell you all this, don't feel like you have to do all this, find all this, buy everything on sale, be a couponing guru. I certainly don't do every deal, don't do every rebate or chase every freebie. I try to stockup on what I can eat (ice cream!! this week), what my family will eat, and do the rebates that will get me money back on what I have to buy already- like meats and pizza. Do what works for you and your time and ditch the rest. I just try to put all I know out there so that you might find one little tidbit that you can use to help you save some money.

Email me at justgenna@triad.rr.com if you have any questions or stumble upon any deals!
Genna